Back Home


Pre-Season | August | September | October | November | December | January | February | March | April
Buckley Town (A) | AFC Fylde (A) | Southport (H) | Kilmarnock (H) | Liverpool X1 (H) | Aston Villa X1 (H) | Airbus (A) | North Ferriby United (H) | Fleetwood Town (H) | Bangor City (H) | Conwy Borough (A)
Tuesday 14 August
Conwy Borough 0 Chester 3
Pre-season Friendly
Attendance: TBA Half Time 0-1
Booked: -.

Chester: Fearon, Crawford (Horan 46), Collins, Taylor, McGinn (Howard 32), Kendrick (Baynes 46), Powell (Sarcevic 64), Mackin, Clancy (Hankin 60), Proudlock, Norton (M.Williams 46).

Chester concluded their pre-season with a comfortable win at Conwy with goals from youth team player Reece Norton, Dave Hankin and Iain Howard.

Rate Chester’s performance

Saturday 11 August
Chester 2 Bangor City 2
Pre-season Friendly
Attendance: 693 Half Time 2-1
Booked: -.

Chester: Danby, Baynes McGinn (Clancy 45), Horan, Linwood, A.Williams, Hankin, Sarcevic (Mackin 66), Jarman, M.Williams, Howard. Subs not used: Taylor, Fearon, Powell, Proudlock, Higgins, Collins.
Bangor City: Idzi, Brownhill, Roberts (Williams 10), Allen, Brewerton, Johnston, Jones (Edwards 45), Garside (Morley 45), Davies (Crowther 81), Simm (Owen 77), Smyth (Bull 45).
Referee: John Dowd.

A defensive mistake saw Chester concede a last minute goal as Bangor grab a draw in the last home pre-season friendly. Goals from Marc Williams and Nathan Jarman had seen Chester come from behind to take a half-time lead only to be denied the win with the last kick of the game.

Bangor included ex-Chester duo Chris Simm and Liam Brownhill in their line-up but it was Chester who had the earlier openings with Paul Linwood, Marc Williams and Antoni Sarcevic all missing chances of note and it was somewhat against the run of play when the visitors took the lead ten minutes before half-time through Chris Jones who found himself unmarked in the box as the Blues defence were slow to clear from a long Clive Williams throw-in.

Chester responded well and were level within four minutes. A Matt McGinn shot was pushed away by Bangor ‘keeper Lee Idzi but the ball fell invitingly to Marc Williams who smashed it into the net from about ten yards out.

On the stroke of half-time Chester took the lead and Jarman picked up a header from Dave Hankin before shrugging off a challenge and sending a shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Wes Baynes hit the post with a free-kick in the 52nd minute and Marc Williams saw an effort just go wide as Chester looked to extend their lead in the second period.

With the game moving into stoppage time an under hit backpass from George Horan forced John Danby into a quick clearance which only found Sion Edwards who quickly crossed for substitute Dave Morley to tap home the gifted equaliser.

Picture � Rick Matthews (Chester Leader)

More pictures

Rate Chester’s performance

Tuesday 7 August
Chester 1 Fleetwood Town 1
Pre-season Friendly
Attendance: 666 Half Time 0-0
Booked: -.

Chester: Fearon, Baynes (Higgins 74), Collins (Horan 74), Linwood (Taylor 71), Clancy, Sarcevic, Powell (Hankin 71), Mackin, McGinn, Blinkhorn (Jarman 57), Mukendi (M.Williams 57). Sub not used: Danby.
Fleetwood Town: Maxwell, McLaughlin, Brown, Devine (Wynn 75), Crowther (J Allen 79), Branco, Titchiner, Richard Allen, Milligan, Fowler, Goodall. Subs not used: Smith, Peterson, Cartwright, Thewlis, Parker.
Referee: G.Johnson (Wigan).

Chester’s pre-season continued with a deserved home draw against a Fleetwood Town X1. With manager Neil Young hinting that another striker would be on the books for the start of the season, two trialists Matthew Blinkhorn and Vinny Mukendi were given a start in this match though neither really impressed up front.

The first threat in the game cane from the visitors as Richard Allen broke through on goal but defender Paul Linwood, playing agonist his former club, was on hand to make a well time tackle. Mukendi sent a header with from a Matty McGinn free-kick as Chester responded and fellow trialist Blinkhorn was unable to take advantage of an inch-perfect Wes Baynes cross.

Martin Fearon, in goal for the injured John Danby, was caught off his line by Lee Fowler but his attempted lob sailed over the bar. Minutes before the break Michael Powell saw a glancing goalbound header from a Antoni Sarcevic cross pushed away by Maxwell in the Fleet goal

The opening goal came in the 57th minute as ex-Chester loanee Alex Titchiner met a Richard Allen cross to score past Fearon. Moments earlier Titchiner had seen another shot on target blocked by Linwood.

Young introduced Nathan Jarman and Mark Williams for Blinkhorn and Mukendi and Chester began to look stronger up front and a third trialist, ex-Everton youth player Ryan Higgins, came on as right back. Levi Mackin forced a fine save from Maxwell and Marc Williams posed a threat as Chester pressed for an equaliser.

Four minutes form time Chester drew level through midfielder Sean Clancy whose left wing cross evaded everyone in the area including Maxwell and nestled into the far corner of the net.

Picture � Rick Matthews (Chester Leader)

More pictures

Rate Chester’s performance

Saturday 4 August
Chester 3 North Ferriby United 0
Peter Swales Challenge Shield
Attendance: 591 Half Time 0-0
Booked: -.

Chester: Danby, Baynes, Taylor, Horan, McGinn, Hankin, A.Williams, Sarcevic, Clancy (Powell 74), M.Williams, Proudlock (Jarman 56). Subs not used: Fearon, Mackin, Linwood.
North Ferriby United: Nicklin, Gardner, Ridley (Williams 82), King (Mobbs 74), Anderson, Bolder, Clarke, Stevens (Taylor 78), Muldoon, Bradshaw, Kendall. Sub not used: Pecora.

A second half hat-trick from Marc Williams secures another piece of silverware for the Blues as Chester lift the Peter Swales Challenge Shield.

The two sides produced an largely uneventful opening half though the Blues did have the ball in the net in the opening five minutes but Marc Williams’ converted from a Matty McGinn free kick only to be penalised for a push on Chris Boulder.

Good work from Antoni Sarcevic put Adam Proudlock through on goal after ten minutes but his low effort was saved by Adam Nicklin in the visitors’ goal. A timely tackle from George Horan prevented a goalbound shot as Ferriby countered midway through the half.

Wes Baynes sent a volley wide and Ashley Williams saw a long range effort deflected wide before Nicklin was on hand to prevent Proudlock reaching another through ball as the half ended in stalemate.

Soon after the restart the game burst into life with two goals in three minutes as Chester took control. Wes Baynes sent in an inswinging left wing corner that Williams headed home from almost on the goal line to break the deadlock. Three minutes later and Williams was on hand again to score from close range after the Ferriby defence had failed to clear another Baynes corner.

Nathan Jarman, brought on to replace Proudlock, should have put the game beyond doubt a minute later but he blasted over. He did better with his next chance though forcing a fine save from Nicklin before heading the rebound over.

A minute into stoppage time Williams grabbed his hat-trick steering the ball home following Jarman’s inch perfect pass.

Picture � Rick Matthews (Chester Leader)

More pictures

Rate Chester’s performance

Wednesday 31 July
Airbus UK Broughton 3 Chester 0
Pre-season Friendly
Attendance: 515 Half Time 2-0
Booked: -.

Chester: Danby (Fearon 53), Baynes, Clancy, Mackin, Horan (Breeze 53), A.Williams (Sarcevic 58), Hankin, Powell, Jarman, M.Williams (Proudlock 53), Howard (Pleavin 80).
Airbus UK Broughton: Chapman, Owens, Lewis, Roddy, Armstrong, Moses, Field, Cadwallader, Budrys, Hayes, Connor. Subs: Edwards, Rule, McCartney, Hart, Jones.
Referee: Nick Pratt.

The Blues were without five players as they suffered a three goal defeat at neighbours Broughton. Dominic Collins, Robbie Booth, Paul Linwood, Matty McGinn and Michael Taylor all sat the game out with injury while George Horan played despite carrying a knock.

Chester created several chances of not throughout the opening half but a combination of poor finishing and fine goalkeeping from Ben Chapman contributed to the defeat.

Dave Hankin saw a goalbound effort cleared from the line midway through the opening period and Nathan Jarman saw an overhead kick fly just over the bar before Chapman made the first of his saves to deny Iain Howard. The home side took the lead in the 25th minute as Mike Hayes broke down the right before crossing for Stephen Connor, who had a trial with Chester recently, who had the simplest of tasks of slotting the ball home past John Danby.

Jarman forced another save from Chapman and the lively Dave Hankin sent a header just over the bar. Horan and Michael Powell both saw efforts blocked as Chester piled on the pressure for an equaliser but a controversial penalty at the end of the period presented Airbus with a second goal.

Danby did well to save an effort from Hayes and as the two fought for the loose ball referee Pratt pointed to the spot. Former Chester player Mark Cadwallader converted the spot kick to give the Welsh Premier League side a two goal advantage at the break.

Manager Neil Young made several changes after the break. Jarman saw an effort headed off the line and substitute Adam Proudlock tried to lob Chapman only for the ‘keeper to save.

Ten minutes from time Airbus added a third goal through Jack Lewis who fired home form a Cadwallader pass. Chester continued to press for a goal with both Proudlock and Jarman seeing chances go begging.

Picture � Rick Matthews (Chester Leader)

More pictures

Rate Chester’s performance

Saturday 28 July
Chester 2 Aston Villa X1 1
Pre-season Friendly
Attendance: 867 Half Time 0-1
Booked: -.

Chester: Danby (Fearon 57), Collins (Baynes 25), McGinn, Horan, Linwood (Mackin 52), A.Williams (Powell 57), Clancy (M.Williams 57), Sarcevic, Jarman, Proudlock (Howard 57), Hankin.
Aston Villa: Barrett (Hill 80), Watkins-Clark (Stephenson 78), Cameron, Ward (Melvin 46), Devine (Lewis 60), Donacien, Philipe (Kinsella 62), Calder, Drennan (Eminoglu 62), Burke (Graham 72).

Referee: Steve Copeland (Wallasey).

Chester got back to winning ways as goals from Nathan Jarman and a beauty from Antoni Sarcevic brought a 2-1 victory against an Aston Villa youth development side.

The Blues made a lively start and visiting ‘keeper Calum Barrett made a fine save to deny Dave Hankin in the opening minutes. Chester enjoyed plenty of possession in the opening period without carving out and real chances of note though Dominic Collins forced a save following a Dave Hankin corner. Hankin was on target again as he forcer a save from Barrett following a speculative long range effort.

There was a scare for the hosts on the half hour as Collins fell awkwardly and injured a shoulder, the Blues were forced to substitute their summer signing with Wes Baynes.

The visitors created two chances at the end of the half and took the lead with the second of these. John Danby saved well from Charlie Ward with a minute to go but was unable to stop Michael Drennan moments later scoring from six yards out to give the Villains a half-time lead.

The Blues restored parity seven minutes after the break as Jarman headed home from close range after George Horan had headed Hankin’s free-kick across goal.

Substitute Marc Williams almost grabbed a second before Sarcevic duly obliged in the 68th minute as he drove the ball home from fully 25 yards to find the left corner and give Barrett no chance.

Following fine build-up play from Marc Williams, Iain Howard saw a good effort crash back from the post as Chester looked for a third goal. Jarman and Sarcevic, again from long range, saw efforts go wide as Chester held on for victory.

Picture � Rick Matthews (Chester Leader)

More pictures

Rate Chester’s performance

Wednesday 25 July
Chester 2 Liverpool X1 3
Pre-season Friendly
Attendance: 1,707 Half Time 2-2
Booked: -.

Chester: Danby (Fearon 54), Baynes (Moyo 54), McGinn (Ting 65), Horan (Collins 54), Taylor (Linwood 46), A.Williams, Booth (Hankin 65), Mackin (Powell 65), Proudlock (Jarman 54), M.Williams, Howard (Connor 77).

A crowd of just over 1,700 saw Chester race into a two goal lead with goals from Iain Howard and Marc Williams, only to see the youthful visitors strike twice before the break and grab what proved to be the winner soon after.

It took the Blues just nine minutes to open their account as Howard sent a left foot shot past ‘keeper Tyrell Belford after neat build up involving Marc Williams. Belfort produced a fine save to deny striker Williams moments later but he was unable to stop the striker doubling the lead six minutes before the break as Howard set up the striker to score in the top corner from 20 yards.

Although the home side had rarely looked threatened in the opening period, they were stunned by two goals from Michael Ngoo in four minutes just before the interval. The first goal was a simple close range tap-in, the second, two minutes before the break was a smart left foot shot that beat John Danby.

Chester were punished again soon after the break as substitute Jose Huertas Ortiz played a one-two with Ngoo and raced through on goal to score from six yards.

Manager Neil Young made a raft of changes soon after and the Blues almost grabbed an equaliser through Dominic Collins but the defender saw his header, 20 minutes from time, cleared off the line by Liverpool skipper Connor Coady.

Picture � Rick Matthews (Chester Leader)

More pictures

Rate Chester’s performance

Saturday 21 July
Chester 0 Kilmarnock 1
Pre-season Friendly
Attendance: 1,099 Half Time 0-0
Booked: -.

Chester: Danby, Collins (Baynes 63), McGinn (Howard 63), Horan (Taylor 63), Linwood, A.Williams (Mackin 57), Clancy (Ting 86), Sarcevic (Moyo 72), Jarman (Booth 54), M.Williams (Powell 46), Hankin (M.Williams 72).

A goal from Matthew Kennedy 14 minutes from time brought another pre-season defeat for the Blues though manager Neil Young will have been pleased with his teams display as Chester were twice denied a goal by the woodwork in the opening period. Nathan Jarman and Dominic Collins both had chances as Chester made a lively start against the Scottish Cup holders.

Matty McGinn crashed a shot against the bar following good build up play from Dave Hankin and McGinn was denied again soon after by a good save from Killie‘keeper Annsi Kaakkola.

Marc Williams had a couple of chances to break the deadlock just before the break, a neat through ball from Jarman fed Williams whose first time shot his the post, the ball rebounded to the striker but his second follow-up effort was blocked.

Both sides made substitutions after the break as the full time team came more into the game. Five minutes after the restart John Danby saved well from Rory Boulding. A late challenge on Sean Clancy caused a huge scuffle involving nearly all the outfield players, Killie player Liam Kelly was later booked for the foul.

The only goal of the game came in the 74th minute as a mistake from Michael Taylor allowed Kennedy a clear run on goal and his low shot into the bottom corner gave Danby no chance.

Rate Chester’s performance

Tuesday 17 July
Chester 3 Southport 0
Pre-season Friendly
Attendance: 762 Half Time 0-0
Booked: -.

Chester: Danby, Moyo (Baynes 71), Collins (Linwood 46), Taylor (Horan 55), McGinn (Clancy 55) Booth (Hankin 64), Mackin (Powell 55), Sarcevic, Howard (Connor 76), Jarman, M.Williams.
Southport: Nemes, Gervan, Aley, Lynch, Grand, Parry, Benjamin, Joyce, Farran, Flavin, McCarthy. Subs not used: McMillan, Gaden, Hackett, Barnes, Middleton, Chalmers.
Referee: John Dowd.

Three goals in the final ten minutes through Nathan Jarman, Dave Hankin and George Horan gave Chester a deserved victory over a Southport side that contained a number of trialists. A crowd of 762 turned out for the first home friendly.

The Sandgrounders carved the first chance of note following a mistake by Matty McGinn that allowed Ross Farran through on goal but his effort was cleared off the line by Antoni Sarcevic.

Chester began to settle and created a chance of their own as Iain Howard shot over from 15 yards after good build up play from trialist Cliff Moyo who impressed all night.

Jarman and Hankin both went close after the break, the latter seeing an effort cleared from the line before the deadlock was finally broken in the 80th minute as sarcevic found Jarman in the area and he shot past Southport ‘keeper Matt Nemes.

Five minutes later Chester doubled their advantage as Hankin fired home past Nemes into the bottom corner. Hankin also played a part in the final goal three minutes from time, his cross found Paul Linwood who nodded the ball back for Horan to head home inside the six yard box.

More pictures

Picture � Rick Matthews (Chester Leader)

Rate Chester’s performance

Sunday 15 July
AFC Fylde 1 Chester 0
Pre-season Friendly
Attendance: 489 Half Time 0-0
Booked: -.

AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe; Jarvis, Sumner, Hughes, Steel, Barnes, McCarthy, Booth, Barnes, Dean, Winter. Subs not used: Pybis, Mitterrand, Kay, Galliers, Malin, Kusaloka.
Danby, Baynes (Collins 38) Horan (Taylor 58), Linwood (Moyo 75), McGinn, Hankin (Ting 67), Powell, Mackin (Booth 46), Clancy, Jarman, Proudlock (Sarcevic 46). Subs not used: Fearon, Smith.
Referee: D McNamara.

Chester once again failed to find the net as hosts AFC Fylde pulled off a 1-0 victory at a sunny Kellamergh Park. The only goal of the game came in the 74th minute through Michael Barnes. The Blues failed to create any chances of note with a long range effort from Nathan Jarman their only real attempt on target.

Manager Neil Young admitted after the game that the Blues are lacking a threat up front. He told the Chester Chronicle: “I wasn’t happy with the performance. I didn’t think we had a goal threat and I don’t think we’ve had a goal threat in either of the two games so far.”

“People will automatically point to the forwards but I don’t think anyone can question the application of Nathan Jarman in particular in both games. We’ve got to play higher up the pitch but it takes time to change and bring in new things as we’re trying to keep the ball a little bit better.

“It wasn’t a good performance and we did look ragged at times but you also have to remember we did a double session yesterday.”

More pictures

Picture � Rick Matthews (Chester Leader)

Rate Chester’s performance

Thursday 12 July
Buckley Town 0 Chester 0
Pre-season Friendly
Attendance: TBC Half Time 0-0
Booked: -.

Chester (first half): Danby, Moyo, Horan, Taylor, McGinn, Baynes, Powell, Mackin, Booth, Connor, M.Williams.
Chester (second half): Fearon, Smith, Linwood, Collins, Ting, Hankin, Mackin (Powell 65), Sarcevic, Clancy, Jarman, Proudlock.

Chester drew 0-0 at Buckley Town as the pre-season campaign got underway. Manager Neil Young fielded several of his summer signings and there were four trialists on show in Danny Tring, Tom Smith and Cliff Moyo who played in defence and forward Stephen Connor. The Blues fielded a almost different X1 in each half.

More pictures

Picture � Rick Matthews (Chester Leader)

Rate Chester’s performance


























© 1997-2012 Steve Mansley | Complete Site Archive | Technical | Webmaster
Back | Top
search this site»
email this page
Chester have announced the signing of 30-years-old midfielder Mitch Hancox who was recently released by Altrincham.
more »
Chester open their pre-season campaign with a home defeat to a strong Stockport County side.
more »
Chester have a home friendly against Stoke City on Thursday, kick-off 19.45.
Friendly Fixtures
League table
Chester weather
Everything you need to know about the club’s history, honours, records and kits. Complete list of fixtures from 1885 and much more.
more »
The Exiles have set up a blog to provide away match information and articles for Blues fans living away from Chester. You can read it here
Exiles » | ISA »