Back Home
Pre-Season | August | September | October | November | December | January | February | March | April | May
July 10 Northwich Victoria
Murphy 10, Beckett 27.
July 13 Warrington Town
Jones 38, Fisher 39.
July 17 Total Network Solutions
Wright (2).
July 20 Everton
Beckett 59 (p), Wright 82.
July 24 Wigan Athletic
Murphy 37.
July 26 Maesteg
July 28 Cwmbran Town
Murphy, Reid.
July 31 Stoke City
17 July 1999
Chester City 2 

Chester City: Brown, Moss, King, Reid, Lancaster, Woods, A.Shelton, Carson, Wright, Beckett, Fisher. Subs: Richardson, Jones, Doughty.

Two goals from teenager Darren Wright were the highlight of City's 2-2 draw against Total Network Solutions.

His goals, either side of half time, gave City a 2-0 lead but, following several substitutions, the Blues had to be content with a share of the spoils. Good work by Nick Richardson set up Wright's first strike from close range.

His second came after 60 minutes with a bullet header following an Andy Shelton corner. Substitute Leon Gierke pulled a goal back for the home side and nine minutes later O'Brien made it 2-2.

City almost won the game with a stunning 30-yard volley from Danny Carson that smashed against the angle of post and bar, and Wright just failed to turn in time to complete his hat-trick following more fine work from Andy Shelton.
20 July 1999
Chester City 2 Everton 3
Attendance 5,800

Chester City: Brown (Cutler 45), Moss, King (Cross 40), Reid (Carson 45), Lancaster, Woods, A.Shelton, Richardson, Murphy, Beckett (Wright 81), Fisher. Subs not used: Jones, Blackburn.
Everton: Simonsen, Cleland (Weir 62), Ball, Short, Watson (Phelan 62), Unsworth, Collins (Dunne 62), Barmby, Cadamarteri, Hutchison, Gemmill (Jevons 62). Subs not used: Gerrard, Gough.
Referee: Mike Jones (Chester).

Two goals in the last 11 minutes from Nick Barmby saved Everton's blushes in a game which City deserved a share of the spoils.

It was City who had the better of the opening exchanges with Andy Shelton hitting the side netting with a teasing cross on eight minutes. The Blues continued to probe for the breakthrough and John Murphy came close when heading over on 18 minutes following a whipped-in centre from Shelton. Three minutes later Murphy again rose above the Everton defence to head over from a corner.

Midway through the opening half Barmby had to great chances in a couple of minutes to score. HIis first shot was charged down by the impressive Darren Moss, then minutes later he had a shot saved by Wayne Brown.

There were appeals for an Everton penalty as Cadamarteri appeared to be held back by Martyn Lancaster, but referee Jones waved away the appeals. Moss again came to City's rescue when he nipped in to clear after Barmby had slipped the ball past Brown.

Following the break City made Everton pay for their missed chances. Luke Beckett opened the scoring from the penalty spot after the striker himself had been brought down by Simonsen in the Everton goal.

Fourteen minutes from time Unsworth headed the equaliser from a corner, and three minutes later Barmby looked to have clinched the win as he put the visitors 2-1 up, side footing the ball past Cutler.

Darren Wright levelled things for City just two minutes after coming on. He produced a site-foot finish with somersault to boot.

Barmby scored the winner shooting from 25 yards as the ball squirmed under Cutler's body.
24 July 1999
Chester City 1 Wigan Athletic 1

Attendance 1,121

Chester City: Brown, Moss, Cross, Reid (Blackburn 85), Lancaster, Woods, A.Sjelton, Richardson, Murphy (Jones 78), beckett, Fisher (Doughty 78).
Wigan Athletic: Carroll, Green, Elliott, Porter, Balmer, De Zeevw, Lee (Morris 81), Kilford, Haworth (Jones 60), Liddell (Barlow 45), McLaughlan.
Referee: Mike Jones (Chester).

Manager Kevin Ratcliffe described this performance as "a good workout" as City fought out a 1-1 draw in a stifling afternoon. The difference in stature between the sides was not obvious to see and once again City's youngsters came through with praise.

City controlled the midfield with Richardson and Reid playing well. Reid produced City's first effort on goal on 13 minutes.

David Lee shot over for the Latics mid-way through the half and Wayne Brown came to Jon Cross' rescue saving well from Howarth following the defenders blunder.

Luke Beckett went close for City before fellow striker John Murphy opened the scoring on 37 minutes. Richardson crossed for Murphy who headed wide where Beckett picked up the ball and supplied another cross for Murphy to net at the second attempt.

Wigan equalised just after the break. City went to sleep as David Lee set Howarth through and he made no mistake following his earlier miss.

Beckett missed a chance of putting City in the lead, but following good work from Richardson and Murphy the City striker shot high and wide.

Following the game manager Kevion Ratcliffe said: "I was disappointed we didn't carry on in the second hald where we left off in the first, but it was a good workout and the young lads did well. We have to make sure we don't start thinking we are a good side because we have done well against Everton and Wigan in friendly matches."

Nice to see a reunion of Chester old boys at the match. City physio Joe Hinnigan met up with Colin Greenall (part of the Wigan management team) and Graham Barrow who was watching the game with his children

Saturday 31 July 1999
Chester City 0 Stoke City 0
Attendance 1,249

Chester City: Brown, Davidson, Cross, Reid (Wright 56), Lancaster, Woods, A.Shelton (Moss 43), Richardson, Murphy, beckett (J.Jones 73), Fisher. Subs: Cutler, Doughty, Blackburn.
Stoke City: Ward, Small (Taffle 76), Robinson, Sigurdsson, Jacobson (Mohan 55), Keen, McKenzie (O'Connor 73), Lightbourne, G.Kavannagh, Aiston (Clarke 76), Connor. Subs: J.Kavvanagh, Oldfield, Crowe.
Referee: Mike Jones (Chester).

Once again, hard-working City matched their higher division opponents as their successful pre-season drew to a close. Whilst Stoke had the better of the chances, there was little between the sides on another baking hot afternoon at the Deva.

The first chance fell to Kyle Lightborne who shot wide of Wayne Brown on five minutes. Both sides played some neat passing without creating any clear-cut chances. City had to wait for 3 minutes before their first chance arrived, as Luke Beckett's flick header was tipped over the bar by the visiting keeper.

Following the break a Kevin Keen header was saved at the foot of the post by Brown and seven minutes later Stoke went closer when Lightbourne sent a header crashing against a post.

City were fairly solid at the back with Martyn Lancaster and Matt Woods forming a good partnership. It was Brown though who came to City's rescure five minutes from time blocking a shot from Steve Taffe.
© 1997-2008 Steve Mansley | User Stats | Technical | Webmaster
Back | Top
search this site»
email this page
Chester have announced the signing of 30-years-old midfielder Mitch Hancox who was recently released by Altrincham.
more »
Another good run out for Chester as their pre-season continues with a home defeat to Stoke City.
more »
Chester travel to play the Isle of Man next Friday, kick-off 19.00.
Friendly Fixtures
League table
Chester weather
Everything you need to know about the club’s history, honours, records and kits. Complete list of fixtures from 1885 and much more.
more »
The Exiles have set up a blog to provide away match information and articles for Blues fans living away from Chester. You can read it here
Exiles » | ISA »