Back Home


Pre-Season | August | September | October | November | December | January | February | March | April
Winsford United (CSC-PR H) | Kidderminster Harriers (H) | Boreham Wood (A) | Woking (H) | Dover Athletic (H) | Gateshead (A)
Tuesday 24 November
Gateshead 1 Chester 0
Football Conference Premier
Attendance: 842 (133 Chester) Half Time 0-0
Booked: George, Heneghan

Gateshead: Russell, Baxter, Curtis, Clark, Cranston, Mafuta, McLaughlin, Baxter, Wrightson (Honeyman 62), Shaw (Hamilton 12), Bowman. Subs not used: MacDonald, Buddle, Smith.
Worsnop, Higgins, Heneghan, Whitmore, Hunt, Rooney, George, Shaw (Chapell 86), Lloyd (Mahon 69), Hattersley, Hannah. Subs not used: Forth, Sharps, Dyson.
Referee: Jason Whiteley (Leeds).

Two more loan players made their debuts for Chester as manager Steve Burr made changes from the side that drew in midweek wit Dover Athletic. In came Danny Hattersley and Ryan Lloyd at the expense of Calum Dyson and Craig Mahon who both started on the bench.

With new manager Neil Aspin watching on from the stands, Gateshead found the net after only two minutes but debut man Adam Wrightson’s header was ruled out by the assistant referee for offside.

Ben Heneghan made a timely tackle to deny Jon Shaw as Gateshead enjoyed the majority of the early possession but it was Chester who went closest to opening the scoring as Tom Shaw saw an effort cleared off the line by Simon Ramsden hit the post in the 19th minute, the loose ball broke back to Shaw who saw his follow-up effort clip the post.

Both sides wasted chances in the remainder of the half, Gus Mafuta and Paddy McLaughlin for the Heed and Ben Heneghan, John Rooney and Ross Hannah for the Blues.

Gateshead pressed in the second half, but it was Chester who missed the best chance on 75 minutes as Hattersley headed Jonny Hunt’s cross straight into the arms of Sam Russell in the home goal from just six yards out.

Eight minutes from time Heed scored the decisive winning goal as Sheffield United loanee CJ Hamilton crossed to Ryan Bowman whose effort deflected off Alex Whitmore past Jon Worsnop for an own goal.

League Table

Rate Chester’s performance

Tuesday 24 November
Chester 1 Dover Athletic 1
Football Conference Premier
Attendance: 1,479 Half Time 1-1
Booked: -.

Chester: Worsnop, Higgins, Heneghan, Whitmore, Hunt, George, Rooney, Shaw, Mahon (Chapell 46), Dyson (Hobson 67), Hannah. Subs not used: Forth, Gordon, Lloyd.
Dover Athletic:
Rafferty, Magri, Grimes, Orlu, Thomas, Raggett, Deverdics, Parkinson, Modeste, Miller, Payne (Ajala 84). Subs not used: Murphy, Diallo, Sterling, Walker.
Martin Coy (County Durham).

Ross Hannah once again found himself on the scoresheet as Chester came from a goal behind to grab a point against Dover Athletic.

Luke George returned from injury and there were first starts for loan players Calum Dyson and Alex Whitmore as Chester looked to put Saturday's disappointing home defeat by Woking behind them.

Craig Mahon sent an effort just wide and Tom Shaw almost set up Hannah with a through ball but visiting ‘keeper Andy Rafferty was quickly out to gather. A John Rooney free-kick zipped just wide as Chester had the better of the chances in the opening period.

The Whites took the lead in the 37th minute with a spectacular goal as Stefan Payne kicked it over his head on the right wing, Ricky Modeste flicked it back and Ricky Miller volleyed home past Jon Worsnop from the edge of the box.

Miller was through again minutes later but Worsnop cleared the danger from the edge of the area. Hannah dragged an effort wide four minutes before the break when well placed but made no mistake in added time when he scored from close range after Whitmore had headed down a Rooney free-kick at the far post.

Dover had the better of the openings in the second half with goal scorer Miller in the thick of the action. At the other end Shaw saw a powerful 25-yarder pushed away for a corner by Rafferty.

Miller forced a couple of saves from Worsnop and James Grimes found the net with a with a header from a corner but referee (and fourth official) Justin Hayes, who had earlier replaced the injured Martin Coy ruled the goal out for an infringement.

The final chance of the game fell to Miller five minutes from time but Blues fans were relieved to see his header from six yards out fly wide.

League Table

Rate Chester’s performance

Saturday 21 November
Chester 1 Woking 2
Football Conference Premier
Attendance: 1,837 Half Time 0-1
Booked: Sharps.

Chester: Worsnop, Higgins, Heneghan, Sharps, Hunt, Chapell (Hobson 73), Shaw, Rooney (Woodland 76), Mahon, Hannah, Roberts (Dyson 37). Subs not used: Forth, Gordon.
Cole, Norman, Saah, Jones, Arthur, Andrade (Caprice 79), Robinson, Ricketts, Goddard, Holman (Daniel 90, Quigley (Keohane 88). Subs not used: Hamann, Thomas.
Richard Wigglesworth (Doncaster).

Manager Steve Burr made two changes form the side that drew at Boreham Wood last week. In came Jordan Chapell and Craig Mahon at the expense of Luke George and Calum Dyson who started on the bench.

Jon Worsnop was in the action first after five minutes saving from a John Goodard free kick before Tom Shaw replied for Chester with a 25-yarder that Jake Cole in the visitors’ goal saved well.

The Cards took the lead on 15 minutes as Joe Quigley met a high cross to send in an effort on goal, Ian Sharps cleared off the line only to Dan Holman who crashed home the loose ball.

James Roberts tested Cole with a low shot that was parried away with the loose ball falling to Ross Hannah who couldn’t convert the opportunity.

Ben Heneghan headed straight to Cole before Chapell pulled another shot wide as Chester looked for an equaliser.

A hamstring injury five minutes before the break saw Roberts being replaced by Dyson. The last chance of the half fell to Hannah whose snap shot was well saved by Cole.

Worsnop was forced to turn a Matt Robinson 25 yard shot wide and before Robinson volleyed over the bar as Woking pressed at the start of the second period.

Dyson came close to equalising when he saw a header hit the crossbar and Hannah saw an effort pushed round the post by Cole

Joe Quigley almost doubled the lead before Goddard did find the net in the 90th minute, tapping home a loose ball following good work from Jake Caprice.

Hannah scored a consolation goal deep into stoppage time heading home a Craig Hobson cross.

Picture © Rick Matthews (Chester Leader)

League Table | More pictures

Rate Chester’s performance

Saturday 14 November
Boreham Wood 0 Chester 0
Football Conference Premier
Attendance: 589 (246 Chester) Half Time 0-0
Booked: Sharps.

Boreham Wood: Russell, Woodards, Doe, Clifford, Howell (Jeffrey 62), Shakes, MacDonald (Morias 85), Kamdjo, Vilhete, Stephens, Devera. Subs not used: Cox, Reynolds, Edwards.
Worsnop, Higgins, Hunt, George, Sharps, Shaw, Hannah, Rooney (Hobson 73), Dyson (Chapell 61), Roberts (Mahon 61), Heneghan. Subs not used: Forth, Woodland.
Christopher Powell.

My hopes were not high for a day out at Borehamwood. Not only have Chester failed to win at any away day around the Home Counties so far this season, but it was one of those rain-sodden days that made you wish Spring was around the corner.

The signs were not good when I arrived at Boreham Wood FC’s Meadow Park not long after 2pm to find the gates still closed to Chester fans and we weren’t welcome in their bar either. So I opted for a wet walk down the High Street to kill time before kick-off.

On the positive side, I did meet lots of fellow Exiles on my way. On the negative side, there were so many of us (246 travelling fans) that when I returned to the ground I faced a 20-minute queue to get into the ground as only one turnstile had been opened.

It meant I missed the minute’s silence for the Paris massacre victims, plus the match kick-off, as well as Ross Hannah getting the ball in the net in the opening minute – an attempt which was declared offside.

Thankfully the heavily-stewarded Chester fans had their own section of a smart stand to shelter themselves from the rain as the actual match didn’t do much to warm us up on this drab November afternoon.

Everton loanee Callum Dyson looked a lively addition to the squad. He had Chester’s best chance of the first half following a good cross from James Roberts. But Wood goalkeeper Scott Doe made a good save to deny the Blues a goal.

For the home side, Ricky Shakes somehow missed two great chances before half-time whistle blew, and that about summed up the first half's entertainment.

Chester had the best of the opening spell of the second half, with the swirling wind leaving Boreham Wood needing to clear a John Rooney corner off the line. It did look to the noisy away following that the Blues had a real chance of a result, and fresh legs entered the field on the hour in the shape of Jordan Chapell and Craig Mahon.

But they failed to make much of an impact, and Chester had to call on goalkeeper Jon Worsnop on a couple of occasions to make some relatively simple saves. He was almost red-faced near the end of the game when he fumbled a catch from a long-distance shot, but he managed to keep it out of the net.

In the end, a 0-0 draw was probably a fair result in the end, with the weather making conditions difficult for both teams. But I can’t say I’ll be looking forward to a return trip to Boreham Wood, and have to admit I’m hoping they’ll only have a one-season stay in the National League.

Sue Choularton

League Table

Rate Chester’s performance

Tuesday 10 November
Chester 3 Kidderminster Harriers 1
Football Conference Premier
Attendance: 1,956 Half Time 1-1
Booked: -.

Chester: Worsnop, Higgins, Heneghan, Sharps, Hunt, George, Shaw, Rooney (Hobson 87), Mahon (Chapell 71), Roberts (Dyson 74), Hannah. Subs not used: Forth, Kay.
Kidderminster Harriers:
Snedker, Hodgkiss, Langmead, Howkins, Young (McQuilkin 71), Whitfield, Fazlic, Jones (Obusu 86), Francis-Angol, Barnes-Homer, Murphy (Singh 67). Subs not used: Rowe-Turner, Brown.
Referee: Joseph Johnson (Liverpool).

Chester had to come from behind to beat struggling Kidderminster Harriers. The Blues, with Luke George back in midfield started well and could have opened the scoring on 14 minutes as a fine save from Dean Snedker denied Ross Hannah and Hannah again should really have scored after Snedker had parried a Johnny Hunt strike with the Blues striker shooting the loose ball over from eight yards.

The visitors, who have won only once this season, took the lead seven minutes before the break through Kelvin Langmead who converted past Jon Worsnop after Matthew Barnes-Homer had pulled back a far post cross.

The lead lasted only two minutes as Hannah found the net sweeping home a James Roberts cross to send the sides in level at the break.

Thirty seconds after the re-start John Rooney gave the Blues the lead scoring from inside the box following a Hannah pass. Jordan Chapell fired well over as Chester looked to extend their advantage.

Chester wrapped the points up seven minutes from time as hannah pounced on a loose ball to score after Snedker had saved a Rooney effort.

Picture © Rick Matthews (Chester Leader)

League Table | More pictures

Rate Chester’s performance

Tuesday 3 November
Chester 10 Winsford United 1
Cheshire Senior Cup Preliminary Round
Attendance: 311 Half Time 8-1
Booked: -.

Chester: Forth, Higgins (Boardman 71), Heneghan, Kay, Gordon, Woodland, Hughes, Richards, Hobson, Thomson (Haley 78), Peers. Subs not used: Worsnop, Rooney, George.
Winsford United:
Latham, Hibbert, Clarke, Jones, Barrett (Eiselt 53), Rothwell, Howell, Jennings, K.Riley, Hudson (Seol 46), S.Riley (Cook 59). Sub not used: Egan.
Referee: Daniel Hitchell.

Four goals for Craig Hobson as Chester run out comfortable winners in their opening Senior Cup outing. George Thomson opened the scoring in the sixth minute, before the midfielder set up Tom Peers for the second goal ten minutes later.

Winsford produced an instant reply as Kyle Riley slotted the ball past Dylan Forth making his debut in goal. Hobson restored the two goal lead moments later converting a Kane Richards cross.

Richards and Sam Hughes found the scoresheet to give the Blues a5-2 lead in the opening half hour. Ben Heneghan added a sixth ten minutes before the break with Peers and Hobson both finding the net again to give Chester a remarkable 8-1 half-time lead.

Hobson headed Thomson’s free kick home in the 69th minute to make it 9-1 before the striker completed the scoring with his fourth goal, and Chester’s tenth, in the final minute.

Rate Chester’s performance



































© 1997-2015 Steve Mansley | Complete Site Archive | Technical | Webmaster
Back | Top
search this site»
email this page
Chester have announced the signing of 30-years-old midfielder Mitch Hancox who was recently released by Altrincham.
more »
Another good run out for Chester as their pre-season continues with a home defeat to Stoke City.
more »
Chester travel to play the Isle of Man next Friday, kick-off 19.00.
Friendly Fixtures
League table
Chester weather
Everything you need to know about the club’s history, honours, records and kits. Complete list of fixtures from 1885 and much more.
more »
The Exiles have set up a blog to provide away match information and articles for Blues fans living away from Chester. You can read it here
Exiles » | ISA »